Media Release - Hit and Run MVA w/ Injuries

Date and Time: August 28, 2011 at 10:52 at 344 E. White Horse Pike, at 11:08 at Pitney Road and Ridgewood Avenue , and at 11:42 at 423 W. White Horse Pike.

Number of Vehicles: 3

Type of accident (Head on, pedestrian, etc.): (2) rear end accidents (1) head on into a utility pole.

Name, age, sex, and city of suspect: Michael J. Bell Jr., a 38 year old white male from Galloway Township .

Year, make, model of vehicle: 2007 Silver Honda Accord.

Number of injured: 1

Name (unless juvenile), age, sex, and city of each injured: Michael J. Bell Jr. only.

Location and type of each injury: A laceration over his left eye.

Hospital each transported to: ACMC Mainland by Galloway Twp. Ambulance Squad.

Investigating Officer: Ptl. R. Gorneau and Ptl. K. Baerman / Ptl. J. Butler.

Charges: Possession of CDS (suspected Heroin), possession of hypodermic needles, obstruction, taking a vehicle without consent, resisting arrest, driving while suspended, careless driving, leaving the scene of an accident, and failure to report an accident.

Describe how the collision occurred: At 10:52 the Galloway Township Police Department received a call of a hit and run accident in the passing lane of Rt. 30 in front of the Clarion Hotel. The suspect vehicle was a silver Honda. The victim was not injured and there was no visible damage to the victimís vehicle. At 11:08 a 2010 Nissan Ultima carrying a family of five from Galloway was struck in the rear at the intersection of Pitney Road and Ridgewood Avenue . The suspect vehicle was again a silver Honda that again fled the scene, however the driver of the victimís car was able to get the license plate before it left. No one in the family reported any injuries however the vehicle had to be towed from the scene. At 11:42 the same Silver Honda struck a utility pole on Rt. 30 in front of 423 W. White Horse Pike. Police arrived and were able to take Mr. Bell into custody after a brief struggle. He was transported to ACMC Mainland by the Galloway Township Ambulance Squad where he was treated and released. He was then transported to the police department where he was processed and given his complaints. He was then lodged in the Atlantic County Justice Facility on $10,000.00 full bail.


Press Release Archive