- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age**;
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent;
- Have a safe driving record and possess a valid New Jersey Driver's License at the time of appointment;
- Read and write English with proficiency;
- Be of sound moral character;
- Pass a physical fitness test;
- Pass oral interview(s);
- Have NO criminal record;
- Pass an extensive background investigation.
Upon receiving a conditional offer of employment, applicants MUST:
- Pass a psychological examination;
- Pass a medical examination;
- Pass a drug screening;
- Be a resident of the State of New Jersey.
** NJPFRS restrictions may apply to applicants over thirty-five (35) years of age.